[at-l] Need Help Choosing Backpack for AT

I'm going to chime in on the "buy your backpack last" train.  Only after you
know what you are going to be putting in your backpack can you make any sort
of decision about what type of backpack is appropriate.

The weight of your gear will help determine what type of support you need in
your backpack.  The lighter the gear going into your backpack, the less
support you need and the lighter the backpack itself can be.  This does not
necessarily mean that pakcing lighter means packing smaller.  For example,
Ray Jardine advocates using a large enough pack so that you do not have to
significantly compress your sleeping bag.  This means that the filler in
your bag retains its loft better over time and you don't need a "warmer" bag
because of the reduced efficacy of your bag.

So, weigh all of the gear you are likely to put in there.  Then add weight
for your food and water.  Then, you will be able to start to get an idea for
the amount of support you will need in your backpack.  There's nothing wrong
with taking your gear to the store to see how it fits into different
backpacks.  Pack them as if you're going hiking and then tromp around the
store for 20 minutes to getan idea how it's going to ride and if it's
comfortable for you.

Given ideas like using your pad for support may reduce your need to have a
fully framed backpack, but only you can tell after you figure out exactly
what you need to put in your pack.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99