[at-l] What geographic changes would make the AT ideal in your eyes?

> I believe that the AT could be relocated in certain sections or have
> added official trails that branch in a north-south direction from the
> AT. As long as the intent is to give the trail more variety or better
> views, I see no problem with changing or adding side branches of the AT
> which would also be "official" and white-blazed trail. On the other
> hand, I'm not into changing trail just for the sake of making it easier.
> Examples for me would be:
> 1. Make the Creeper Trail heading north out of Damascus a white blaze.
>    The old trail could stay or go, wouldn't matter.
> 2. Trail possibly could be whiteblazed toward Mt. Leconte or Mt.
>    Mitchell, etc.
> 3. I took a side trip and hiked the Peaks of Otter and its views are
>    better than only a few views on the true AT. Whiteblazing should be
>    considered again (I believe it is old AT)
> 4. The trail should be routed over Mt. Abraham in Maine. It is located
>    on the opposite side of the trail from Sugarloaf and right now has a
>    2.7 mile blue blaze to it. It has incredible views since the last
>    400 feet of vertical is a cone of small rocks. I would whiteblaze
>    this and then take the trail down through Caribou Valley(I think)
>    and skip the Crockers since they have limited views and are PUDS in
>    my opinion.
> 5. Start the At off with a bang at Amicalola Falls State Park right
>    after your weigh-in your pack.
> 6. Have the AT continue from Baxter Peak on Mt. Katahdin, across the
>    Knife Edge, down to Chimney Pond, and ending at Roaring Brook
>    Campground.

All pipe dreams!! The land for the trail has been purchased. That program is
winding down. Changing the end points would require an act of Congress. They
are specified in the enabling legislation. So would moving the corridor
significantly.