  From: Rich, Timothy D.
  To: 'at-l@mailman.backcountry.net'
  Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 2:32 PM
  Subject: RE: [at-l] Converting footsteps to miles

  Greetings,

  I've started doing steps in my midtown Atlanta building as well.  Many
  larger buildings have a 12 to 16 foot rise in floors.  I'm on the 16th floor
  of a 50 story building.  51 floors if you count the attic, which has been
  left unlocked with interesting items for cooldown browsing.  I've made the
  trek to the attic a few times, but generally twenty floors at a time is good
  for me.  When I work out on the stairmaster, it shows floors, feet and
  distance.  I'll jump on the one at the company health club sometime over the
  next few days and tell you what it shows the relationship between these to
  be.

  On a separate issue, I've read that building up the muscles around the knee
  with leg extension and leg lift exercises helps protect them on those
  painful downhills.

  Take Care,

  Tim