[at-l] Best Blue Blazes

In a message dated 3/23/2002 5:46:14 PM Central Standard Time, kahley@ptd.net
writes:

> At 09:29 AM 3/23/02 -0500, rick boudrie wrote:
> Occasionally we hear from people who have hiked essentially all the Trail
> but did not regsiter as 2000 milers.
>
> If the people who were rightfully entitled to register but did not
> are the_most_hinorable, then that means those that were also
> entitled and did register are_less_honerable than those who didn't?.
> For the life of me I can't understand why that would be?

As one who thru-hiked (in 1999), but has yet to "register" my hike with the
ATC (but still might some day, if I get around to it), I can safely say that
-- for me -- the issue has nothing at all to do with "honor" or
"righteousness."  Rather, it just isn't important to me, or certainly hasn't
been important enough to take the time (what would it take? 10 minutes?) to
do so.  To me, the experience of my hike was the important part.  And, by
definition, the experience of a hike like this is intensely personal and
subjective.  No part of me did it for recognition -- official or otherwise --
and no part of me feels that "honor" has any relation to the topic.  If I
ever do register my hike, it will be only for the sake of obtaining a memento
of it -- again, for me.

Of course, YMMV.

Walkabout

multipart/alternative