[at-l] HYOH - IYOW - Was: Lots of other stuff...

Following up on Shane's comments...

I couldn't be bothered sending the Conference a letter.  My dad sent in a
note along with a newspaper article written by my mother's friend.  Jean
Cashin sent back a letter saying the article would be accepted as a
substitute, and mailed a certificate and a patch back.

I won't share with the list whether I blue-blazed, yellow-blazed or
whatever.  If I didn't feel I deserved the certificate, I would have sent it
back. Maybe I did. I doubt anyone cares about my hike anymore than I care
about Jim's in that regard.  But his post makes it pretty clear that most
hiker's do want to let the conference know of thier achievement.  Make no
mistake about that.  The numbers prove it.  And the form one sends in today
to do so is very clear.

Would Jim sign that form and send it in if he just completed his thru?  I
don't know and I don't care.  I'll bet he wouldn't, but I could be wrong.  I
know what today's form says.  I sure as hell wouldn't sign it if I had not
made an honest attempt to hike all the white blazed trail.  I guess that's
for everyone to decide for himself.  He is right about one thing, they will
give you a patch for the asking if you fill out that form.

I think he is wrong about a couple things, however.  Even the ultra-purists
(the anal retentive people Jim has no tollerance for)can have a sence of
humor regarding the ATC and patches when it comes to OTHER peoples' hikes--
when it comes to thing like using different blue-blazes in and out of
shelter.  Its not central. No, the reason this is such a hot button thing is
because of the percentage of people who not only bend the truth, but break
it.  And that has changed a lot over the years. No one can tell me
different.  Its changed a whole lot.

The smart future thru-hikers have probably learned that this topic won't
make the best ice-breaker on the Trail, eh?

Rick Boudrie