From: Jim Lynch [mailto:jplynch@crosslink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 6:58 AM
To: Jason Ball
Cc: Felix; AT-list
Subject: Re: [at-l] Purism

Jason Ball wrote:

> Dear Felix, the moral fibre you speak of is alive and well for 80% of the
> people. The other 20% unfortunately lie.

It is indeed unfortunate, and we shouldn't excuse it.

> As long as you do what you say you
> do so that you know, that's what counts.

Is this the same as "do what you want and say what you did"? (i.e. don't
lie).

>  .. we have to look no further than our own
> neighbourhoods to see people lying all the time. ... But in the grand
scheme, > see how little a part it plays?

Your argument would seem to suggest that lying is ok, that everyone does
it and that lying is much less consequential than 'bigger' crimes, so we
shouldn't worry about it.  Sorry, don't agree: our society is built on
truth-telling.  If that fails, society fails.  I'm sorry about the 20%,
but I don't want to give encouragement, even tacitly, to that
unfortunate minority  (that might encourage the weak ones among the 80%
to start lying too!).

--
James P. ('Jim') Lynch
jplynch@crosslink.net