[at-l] Purism

I am not particularly frightened or surprised by this. It is people
reporting human nature, including the parts that aren't so attractive.
The reassuring part of this is the fact that usually people are
prepared to take most statements with a grain of salt. As Reagan once
said, "Trust but verify."

People have pretty good BS detectors. They may not detect a lie
immediately, but eventually the truth tends to rule out. Folks who lie
about their hike are more obvious than they may choose to believe. The
defensiveness tends to make any benefit of the lie very shallow. There
are those who cannot appreciate the consequences of lying. A large
number of them wind up in penitentiaries undergoing long term
residential group therapy.

But the bulk of us (no mice in my pocket) suffer our little
dishonesties and work to overcome that shortcoming in our human nature.

Bill...