[at-l] Stopping Hiking after a thru

>Ya know, this leads to an issue that has always fascinated me.
>People who invest months of their lives in hiking the AT and then,
>essentially stop hiking.  It happens every year.  Maybe they come
>back to it in later life but they come of the Trail and then find
>another passion.  I just don't get it.

Kahley,

You couldn't be more facinated about this than me. That was my experience
entirely. I am still scrathing my head I didn't go backpacking for about 7
years after my thu-hike.

There were a lot of reasons for my absence from the trails, but the central
one (IMO) is that vacation and weekend backpacking is very different from
thu-hiking.  Its almost like night and day.  Frankly, I think weekend
backpacking is better, if you really get into it.  Adventures in life come
and go.  Having something that brings you continued joy is great.  Maybe
those section hikers are the smartest of all.

Rick B