[at-l] Therma-Rest pads, What do you like or Hate?

>to take. My main question is 3/4 or not. I'm tall but I really don't >think
>I will mind having no pad under my legs. But I want to see what >other
>think about which therma-rest and if you didn't mind the 3/4 or

I hiked the first part of my SOBO hike without any pad, as I understood it
to be a needless burdon of weight. For the second half, I carried a 3/4
length Ensolite pad after I could justify its existance based on the R
(K?)value of its insulation.  Most of my nights were spent on shelter
floors, including a few of the old baseball bat types up in Maine.

So, my recomendation should is clear.  Take the full length pad!  Your feet
and lower legs are going to hurt like hell and will need the padding on
those hard shelter floors.  You would have to be an idiot to do anything
else.  Vitamine I only works so far.

Seriously, your feet and legs will appreciate the padding if you go for a
full length.  Sleeping well is very important on the Trail.  Very important.
Don't think of yourself as a wimp if you go that route.  Even if you are
one.  You will be in good company.  Then again, a full length weighs more
and lugging it will prove you are a stud(ette?).  And you are a unique
individual.  Why the hell did you ask, anyway?

Personally, I would consider a full length Ridgerest, if your hip bones
would be happy with your decision, or if you are able to sleep on you back
for the duration.  You could donate the cost savings to your "I don't have a
job" fund.

Very interesting question, though.  Its one that I would be asking myself a
couple times. And could never be totally resolved.  Bottom line is that I am
not sure what would work for me again, much less someone else.  But
remember, those shelter floors are hard.  I think all of the lighter weight
(relatively speacking) Thermarests and Rigerests are fashionable, so at
least you dont need to worry about that.

You be a lucky sole to be thinking about such things in more than a
theoretical sence.

Rick B