[at-l] Slackpacking Revisited into the Ground---

OK, I replied to you off-list yesterday, I'll reply on-list today.  Your
criticism of slackpacking is off base.  First of all, it's whether or not
you hike the trail, not how long it takes you nor what you carry with you.
Hiking does not come with any innate baggage, literally or figuratively.
Backpacking the trail is no nobler than slackpacking, just different.  And
why do you keep digging at this trying to get something stirred up?  You're
just going to make yourself miserable because you're not going to change
anyone's mind on the subject.  Whether you want us to believe it or not,
this is strictly a Hike Your Own Hike issue.  This is not lame nor
politically correct.  It's fact.  And I really don't know why your attitude
annoys me so, because I've never slackpacked.  It's just something that's no
one's business except the individual hiker's.  anklebear, who's on a tear
for some reason.........

P.S.  To make matters worse, you want people to reply to the list, but you
post from the forum so that we have to cut and paste the whole blooming
thing to reply.

Desert Nomad <lucy@uia.net> wrote in message
a7l72p$20c8$1@edina2.hack.net">news:a7l72p$20c8$1@edina2.hack.net...
> I feel there are several negatives involved in slackpacking. They are:
>
> 1.   lack of freedom: need to get to a certain road crossing at a
>      certain time to get a ride or have to hike back to the hostel. No
>      option of tenting somewhere in between since you are not carrying a
>      tent or sleeping bag, etc.
>
> 2.   missing some of nature: usually involves a faster hike with less
>      gear so a better chance to miss out on seeing animals, flowers, or
>      hearing owls, etc. at night in the tent or shelter. Note, for those
>      who have argued that speedhikers are so bad since they hike fast
>      and miss out on nature, don't argue against this point also since
>      you would be contradicting yourself.
>
> 3.  Also, I believe that the reward of an adventure is in direct
>     proportion to the effort expended. In your mind, you know when you
>     have taken the easy way out. I personally feel much better about
>     myself when I suffer a little rather than having an easy time of
>     something.
>
> 4.  I believe that the public's perception of the wildness and
>     difficulty of hiking the AT is in direct proportion to its support
>     of safeguarding the AT corridor.
>
>    Don't tell me to hike my own hike either. That's a lame response, but
>    seems to be in fashion in today's political correctness. Also, don't
>    reply to me personally. Reply here. If you are too scared to reveal
>    your true thoughts to the list, don't reply at all.

---