[at-l] Slackpacking is NOT typically American.

>If that isn't slackpacking I don't know what is.

There is another type of slackpacking that can be done on the AT.  You stay
in just one place for days on end and arrange for shuttles that will help
you piece together a number of individual stretches of the AT over the
duration of your stay. After each day's stretch, you return to your same
bed.  The one place in my neck of the woods that provides such a base camp
is Hikers Paradise in Gorham, NH. I understand that there are other places
that this can be done also.  In the case of Hikers Paradise, the proprieter
has very reasonable shuttle fees and flexible which one can probably expect
to share among a group of people and flexible schedules.