[at-l] 2000 Plus Or Minus

In a message dated 03/24/02 10:10:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

>      ***  I don't want to start anything, but when I handed out an AT survey
>
> done by the University of Vermont in 1999 over 30% of respondents were
> through-hikers in my section. So, you have to be careful of the point
> you're
> trying to make...

RnR -

Of course you want to start something.

For someone who claims he wishes to achieve support for trail efforts and
corridor preservation, you probably ought to pay particular attention to the
post to which you were responding here.  Even though you have repeatedly
belittled all of us who are not thru-hikers on this list, we are your best
chance to save the trail you purport to love.

If only thru-hikers count to your way of thinking (as they seem to, based on
many of your posts), the universe of those folks (as much as I admire the
entire group as a whole and especially those that I personally know) are
never going to be able to win the general support needed to acquire and
protect lands and stop development, no matter how many letters you write or
meetings you attend.  It will take a whole lot of us scummy day and section
hikers, who love the woods and the trails as much as you do, my friend,
whether you believe that or not.

The most important thing for the trail is to get as many people to use it (in
whatever fashion they are able) and to learn to love it and to want to
protect it, period.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html