Re[2]: [at-l] 2000-miler, thru-hiking.... was Best Blue Blazes

For what they may be worth, the following are the ATC policies. Note in
particular that the applications are processed by volunteers, not the ATC staff.

"The Appalachian Trail Conference officially recognizes those hikers completing
the entire Trail, either in one season or in sections through the years.

"2,000-Miler" Definition The ATC confers the designation of "2,000-miler" on any
hiker who reports he or she walked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail.
We use the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience — that's
the original length of the Trail, and changing the designation each time the
length changes would be impractical.

Our recognition policy does:

give equal recognition to thru-hikers and section-hikers,

recognize blue-blazed
trails or officially required roadwalks as viable substitutes for the official,
white-blazed route in the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a forest fire,
or an impending storm on an exposed, high-elevation stretch,

and operate on the
honor system.

 Our recognition policy does not consider: sequence, direction,
speed, or whether one carries a pack. ATC assumes that those who apply for
2,000-miler status have made honest efforts to walk the Appalachian Trail from
Katahdin to Springer Mountain.

Where Can I Get a 2,000-Miler Application?

 Download the application from the ATC web site.

On the Trail at Daicey Pond (Baxter State Park, Maine), Walasi-Yi Center (Neels
Gap, Georgia) and Amicalola Falls State Park (Georgia).

 From the ATC
Headquarters Information Center (Harpers Ferry, West Virginia). Come by in
person, call (304) 535-6331 or email the ATC Information Desk and we will send
you an application.

Recognition

 2,000-milers who submit a completed application to ATC will: receive a
certificate of recognition from the Conference and a 2,000-miler rocker for an
A.T. patch (we work with volunteer help to process the applications as quickly
as we can, but please allow 12 weeks to receive your packet), have their name
added to our official database of 2,000-milers, and receive a one-time listing
in our member magazine the Appalachian Trailway News (listing includes name/
trailname /city and state, usually in the May/June edition following application
submission)."

 Weary