[at-l] Baxter Ban

>  In my opinion, elected officials care about the concerns of the >people
>who can vote for them. A letter, containing a $10 check, from >an actual
>constituent carries weight. An email from IdahoJoe does not. >Anyone with a
>spamming proggy can send hundreds of random appearing >emails, and
>sophisticated politicians all know this. If you want to >lobby an
>issue,engage the local people, and send real letters.
>TJ

Not to confuse this lister with the facts, but the Trailplace e-mail program
began not to influence any politician. but rather to have hikers' voices
included in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement regarding this issue.
And to help support the NPS in steeling thier resolve on protecting
Sadleback.

There was a book written fairly recently.  I am not sure of the name but it
was written by a woman thru-hiker and published by the AMC.  It quoted Pam
Underhill (Top NPS Trail big-wig)regarding WF's campaign.  Suffice it to say
that the NPS had a much higher opinion of the Trailplace effort than does
TJ.  Of course, she knows a bit more about it.

The e-mail directed at the politicians came latter when the Saddleback issue
took on a politisized profile.  In the end, a very high-powereed law firm
paid George Mitchell to help make thier case in the back room.  Perhaps that
was money that could have been saved by the Breens, but I think not.

I give WF credit for pushing on even after the rules changed from the start
of his campaign.  I am surprised a thru-hiker can't appreciate that
tenacity.  Pushing on when things don't look so hot is part of what a
thru-hike all about.  And part of the reason that its not those who finish a
thru-hike that deserve the most respect, but rather those who hang tough to
follow thier goals that do. No matter what the outcome.