[at-l] black flies

MATC rules say that the trail should be cleared of blow downs by Memorial Day.
That means all of our several hundred maintainers brave black flies each spring
to prepare the trail for the first flush of south bounders. I sense the fly
season may be a bit early this year and not as severe as usual.

 Carry 100 percent DEET. Apply it liberally. Avoid dark blue and dark red
clothing. Wear light, pastel shades. Get early starts. Black flies live only one
day and disappear at nightfall. A new crop emerges each morning. Start hiking at
daylight and you get a couple of hours of relative freedom.

 Some use a head net, but I find as soon as I put one on I have to itch my nose,
 eyes or something, allowing the flies to get in. As bad as flies in the open
 are, it's worse to trap them within an inch or two of your eyeballs.

 Weary