[at-l] Re: Camp Smith Trail

In a message dated 3/19/02 2:24:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
papa_bear_nyc@yahoo.com writes:

> Has there been any closures of the Camp Smith Trail (south of Anthony's
> Nose) traversing, as it does, Camp Smith  Military Reservation?  I'm
> thinking of 9/11 related  issues.

       The person on the list who knows the most about this issue is Walt
Daniels.  He would ordinarily have responded; however, he is currently hiking
in the Grand Canyon and is therefore off the list.  So I'll respond to the
best of my knowledge.

       As I understand, Camp Smith closed the trail soon after 9/11.
However, a sign closing the trail was posted only at the southern end on
Route 9D.  No attempt was made to close the trail from the northern end,
where it leaves the A.T. and continues up Anthony's Nose.  Also, I believe
that no closing signs were posted at the spot where the trail approaches
Route 9D between Anthony's Nose and the southern terminus.

       In addition, I understand that, subsequent to the completion of the
Camp Smith Trail, jurisdiction over the propery over which the trail passes
was transferred from the NYS Department of Military Affairs to the Department
of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.  Therefore, the trail does
not appear to be under the jurisdiction of Camp Smith, and they apparently
had no authority to close the trail.

       I believe that Walt and Jane Daniels were working to have the trail
officially reopened, but I'm not sure whether their efforts have met with any
success.  In any event, from what I understand, there is nothing to stop A.T.
hikers from going up to Anthony's Nose.

                         Daniel Chazin

multipart/alternative
  text/html