Re[2]: [at-l] Cell phone connection availability

From: "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@theplacewithnoname.com>

> I guess it is about degrees.  It depends on what conditions
> you need to feel a sense of wilderness.  Personally, I could
> walk out of my rural back door and lay down 25 feet from the
> house and feel a sense of wilderness just fine.
 A good point. If I were to compare the sense of wilderness one could feel
while in my back yard, and the AT, I'd have to say the wilderness is in my
back yard. There is no beaten path or marked trail in my back yard. I can
set up my hammock in my back yard and not see a stranger all year. The black
flies and skeeters in my back yard are every bit as ferocious as on the AT.
The paper mill doesn't stink half as bad as a lot of the outhouses on the
AT.
Ones sense of wilderness especially on the AT is just an illusion, it's all
in your head if it were wilderness there would be no trail. A cell phone
does no more damage to ones illusion of wilderness than the trips to town
every couple of days for a shower and comfortable bed that many hikers
indulge in.