Re[2]: [at-l] Cell phone connection availability

In a message dated 03/19/02 10:03:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

> This area of the AT is close to developed areas and road crossings. A
> cell phone is very unnecessary here in terms of dire need for rescue.
> Analyzing this case in particular shows that if the hiker had a very
> serious
> injury where hours were critical to her survival she probably would have
> died
> because of the reliance of the phone instead of the instincts and map
> ability
> of the hikers. I don't want to make a joke of the matter, but I suppose one
>
> could equally ask a pro-cell phone person if they would want to face the
> family members of that woman and tell them a cell phone was more important?
>
> (I say that jokingly of course), though there is truth to it in this
> instance...

Excellent point.  I do not see, nor have I ever espoused, why any responsible
person would enter a wilderness area without a pretty good sense of access
and egress options - hence the value of maps/compasses and an ability to read
them.  There are other resources which can be of value in various emergency
situations, such as the Companion.  For some (but I realize not all), a cell
phone qualifies as one other.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html