[at-l] Cell phone connection availability

FWIW, RnR, I'm in your camp on this issue. I guess each individual has their own idea of what wilderness is to them. However, some of the technology we employ can and will most likely destroy that wilderness eventually. As the demand for cell phones increases, so does the number of antennas. As more and more people have the desire for coverage out in the wilderness areas, there will be more antennas added, and they will detract from the wilderness experience. More antennas will be in view from the trails.

In the 'old' days, people who hiked solo accepted what that meant. If they had a problem, they were prepared either to deal with it themselves, or to accept the consequences. The alternative was to not hike alone, go as part of a group so that someone could be sent for help if necessary, or the group could rescue one of their own. I don't dispute that CPs aid in rescues.

For those who need or want to use a CP out there, of course, it's HYOH. But, just be prepared for the consequences. After all, cell phones are all about money, meeting the demand. It's difficult enough to protect that wilderness corridor from many other threats, the CP is just another one.

Just a thought.