[at-l] Cell phone thread (still)

> At 06:02 PM 3/18/02 -0600, Shane Steinkamp wrote:
>
> Cell phones have saved lives, both in and out of the
> wilderness.  Without an answer, I can only assume that you believe that
> those lives saved by the use of  cell phones should not have been saved.

As some of you (who were privy to my trip report) are aware  -
I was the subject of a SAR near Three Ridges last November resulting from a
broken fibula and a dislocated tibia and, although it (cell phone)didn't
save my life, it certainly expedited my rescue. An interesting note: the
ranger asked who my cell carrier was and implied they could call them
(Verizon) to get a lat/lon on my position. It didn't happen and I was
wondering how readily a carrier would be willing to give out that info over
the phone. Seems like a good way to keep tabs on a significant other.

I won't go hiking without it in the future. Just hope nobody's keeping tabs
on me without my consent or knowledge! <VBG>

Don Bordeaux