[at-l] hiker caste system

> As a "long distance section hiker purist" I hold my rank several notches
> above any yellow blazer, and at least one notch above those who are
> regular slackpackers.

"I had hoped this would take a humour turn instead of a critical one.
If one specifies that a packer is better than a slack packer, then we,
who look to lighten our load are by definition a notch below someone
who humps a 90 pound pack to Maine.  Somehow that doesn't make
sense to me.  Shall we monitor the weight of people's packs and
award supremacy to the fool that carries the most stuff?"

Of course you should! And *which stuff* they carry, too! Soda can stoves rate
higher than Zips, down bags higher than holofil, Nomad ahead of Eureaka, REI
ahead of EMS, Camp-mor ahead of LLBean, Lekis ahead of found sticks...
Cell phone? That disqualifies your hike.
And don't forget those barcode tattoos, Kahley!
That way the Avery Monitors can scan the hikers in at every white blaze.
Seriously, does anyone think there *isn't* a hiker caste system?
TJ < knows the answer

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---