[at-l] 17 mile days (was something else)

> Well, first of all...a 20 mile dayhike with a day pack is a
> wee bit different
> from a 20 mile hike with a 25 to 45 pound pack.

[Muchly edited]

Well, of course I understand all of that. But those that know me know that
I've done those "twenty mile days" with a fifty pound pack...and think
winter alpine trips are "fun".

Second, my average "day hike" is off trail, with a twenty pound pack full of
survey tools, and usually involves wading in swamps. This of course is
"work", but it is still "fun".

My point isn't to say that these are anything special in the way of
accomplishments. I am neither in superb shapes nor am I a full time hiker.
The point is that ANYONE in decent shape can do twenty mile days. It is
simply a matter of will and perseverance. It has absolutely NOTHING to do
with age.

Lee I Joe