[at-l] Is Hunting Season Hiking Dangerous?

Hi, I have never heard of any AT hiker / hunter problems. As far as I
know the AT is closed to hunting. Many areas you pass thru on a NOBO
thru-hike the hunting season is closed when you pass thru. During my
thru-hike I had two hunting experiences: While walking thru the woods,
just after Max Patch, a elderly woman appeared, out of the fog, with a
shot gun. She said that she was hunting turkeys. It was sort of scary.
She looked like she could of had a part in Deliverence. The second one
was; I was hiking SOBO in PA and I knew that it was deer bow season so I
was somewhat on the look-out for hunters. I happened to look into the
woods and about 50 yards from the trail a saw a hunter, all in camo with
his face blackened comeing out of the woods carying a bow. My advice
would be to be aware of the hunting season dates on the section of trail
you plan to hike. Grampie-N->2001