[at-l] DEET Alternative.

The only "scientific" test of repellents I've seen was done by Consumer Reports.
The magazine applied the various substances to human arms and had volunteers
insert their arms in containers of black flies and mosquitoes. Citronella
(natrapel) and Skin So Soft had little impact on the number of bites received.
Deet was the only substance that significantly reduced the number of bites. The
report was in the June 2000 edition, if I remember rightly.

The magazine results confirm what I have known for years. I live next to a salt
marsh, which have the bitingest mosquitoes, and spend many days in the northern
woods during black fly season. Only DEET works for me. YMMV.

FWIW. Compared to what I experience in Maine, the trail in 1993 (a dry year) was
relatively free of serious insect problems.

 Weary