[at-l] Pennsylvania Midstate Trail Info

I had that happen a couple of years ago on the Wild Oak Trail in Virginia.
The behavior of grouse are fascinating.  We entered a clearing and mom and
five or six chicks were perpendicularly crossing the trail.  Mom saw us,
puffed up for a couple of seconds and charged at us (which is inetresting for
such a small bird) - the chicks turned around and zigzagged it back the way
they had come and mom starts flopping around on the ground like she's got a
hurt wing so we'll look her way and not the way the chicks are going (like we
could have caught them even if we were inclinded).  Great parenting skills.

Black&blue

In a message dated 03/13/02 4:52:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jmayer@rochester.rr.com writes:

> Oh - I saw some deer and flushed a grouse with chicks!  We scared each
> other!  Then she went into her wounded bird routine.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---