Re[2]: the Putnam Whine.... Re: [at-l] Cost to remove a blowdown

"... "Irrefutable proof"???...

 I've been involved in environmental regulations since 1958. No one knows
 whether the letters Wingfoot generated helped, or not. I'm willing to accept
 the word of those involved that they were useful, as opposed to those who did
 nothing, but like to shoot at the involved from the sidelines.

 Eventually, these matters end up in the courts, where the law and economic
 interests, not public pressure tends to prevail.

 The value of public support for an issue is that it gives the bureaucrats the
 courage to act on their best instincts about what is right. Letters in most
 cases are simply a way to keep the agencies from taking the easy way out.

 I applaud Wingfoot for at least attempting to influence an important trail
 matter. I know. It's easy to question his motives as some on this list do. But
 only Dan Bruce knows Wingfoot's motives. Everything else is meaningless
 speculation. Nor are motives important. It is results that are important.

 Weary