[at-l] Fw: Thru hiker Survivor Fire

On 10 Mar 2002 at 21:46, DTimm65344@aol.com wrote:

> Ron's right.
>
> The first thing that goes in my pocket (after water) before a hike of any
> length anywhere is a lighter and/or matches (they weigh almost nothing and
> beat rubbing your palms raw, which I would, if I tried to do the old friction
> thing).  No matter where you hike, if you fall and break something and can't
> move, a fire can be an awfully important thing for either warmth or as a
> signal or both.

So if you fall and can't move, you assume that all
the combustibles you need will be right there, at
the point where you fell?  That's pretty optimistic, no?

I agree that as an emergency tool, fire *could* be
a lifesaver.  But for 99.999% of all hikers (who don't
encounter such an emergency) it is a non-essential
skill.

That said, it seems to be a useful thing to know
(building a fire, that is) and matches/lighter aren't
a huge burden to carry.  I'm certainly not encouraging
ignorance in this area.  I just think that fire may be a
bit over-rated as a skill needed for hiking on a trail
like the AT.

rafe b.
aka terrapin