[at-l] crowds

According to the Neels Gap book, there are 64 registered thruhikers who
started before 3/1 and there were 34 more as of 3/6, which is lighter than
typical.  I'm sure the wet and cold caused a few folks to delay a little and
there were more than a few folks who were at Hawk Mtn shelter on Friday night
(3/1) who told me they were staying a second night when I hiked past on (3/2)
so the pace of getting to Neels is a little skewed this year as well.  Not
counting the trail angel crew at Gooch Gap and the high schoolers on Blood, I
probably saw 40 thruhikers in 4 days and another 20 section and spring break
hikers.

Black&blue

In a message dated 03/05/02 5:58:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> On average 60 or 70 people a day start during the peak season -- March
> through
> mid April, spread over five or six hours, or 10 or 12 per hour on average.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---