Re [at-l] Shelter to Shelter avoidance

Kurt,

It would be easy enough to do the whole trail without staying in a shelter.
The Data Book list many of the campsites and there's plenty of other areas
suitible for camping.  Of course, it's best to get off the trail a bit if
you're going to choose your own spot. Get your water at the shelters, do your
cooking and hike another few miles and you shouldn't have a problem finding a
stealth spot.  One of my biggest issues, especially early on was to reach a
shelter at 4 or 5 o'clock or earlier and seeing the shelter full, everyone
all cozy in their sleeping bags, like they claimed a prize or something.

I don't think there's a half dozen shelters on the entire PCT and only a
couple I would have stayed at if the timing had been right.  Your tent (or
tarp) becomes your best friend on the PCT.

Sly

> Actually I was reading posts about shelters and overcrowding and got
> thinking about the PCT where there aren't many (any?) shelters. So my
> question is about camping in-between shelters and not about looking for a
> way to avoid 'camping'.
> How many of us avoid shelters and 'stealth' camp? And those who do, whats

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---