[at-l] Making a "record" of your hike

I virtually never take a camera just because I'm not used to taking pictures
and it just doesn't occur to me to dig out the camera and snap a scene of
whatever catches my eye.  So, when I've carried a camera, I've found, at the
end, I've taken no pictures and just hauled that piece of plastic around for
the hell of it.  What I do, however, is always take an unlined journal and a
piece of vine charcoal or a nice soft (6B) graphite stick and do gesture
landscapes and portraits of whatever I want to remember.  I feel like the
sketches combined with my journaling create a much more intimate and unique
expression of my travels than photos.  And, when I look at my sketches of
places or people, I remember how I felt about them as much as how they
looked.

Alexis