[at-l] backpacking spices during thru-hike?

Nice to know that.  I do rinse the baggies before I put spices in them but
lead's so darn persistent.  I don't know if does any good.  It never
occurred to me that the beads would have lead in them.  Although, I have to
admit I have more than a passing acquaintence with our friend lead.  As a
stained glass artist of many years, I probably have more lead in my system
than most.  I don't know if I can credit the bead baggies with that.  Of
course, it may just mean that I my lead levels are high enough that I ought
to be extra careful.  I'm considering a career change anyway.  A big
Michael's Craft Store just opened up about 15 min. away from us.  Maybe I'll
motor down that way and pick up some new baggies.

Many Thanks,
Alexis ( who has 30+ lbs. of lead in my studio and who knows how much in my
brain)

As a side note, taking lots of calcium is good if you plan on being exposed
to lead.  Calcium bonds with the lead in your system and renders it less
harmful.  As I get older, I may get real dumb but I'll never get
oesteoperosis.

> <<I take tons of spices in very small quantities in the little mini ziploc
baggies that you get when you buy beads.  (My kid sister beads so I just buy
her beads and keep the little baggies.)  >>

> You might want to re-think that especially for an extended hike.  Many of
the glass beads, especially the older ones, have lead in them. I have been
told that particularly the powder you see in the drilled hole can have a
high lead content. This powder clings to the ziplock and gets transferred to
your food.  You can buy the tiny ziplocks in almost any craft store and they
are pretty inexpensive. Might be a safer way to acquire them without also
acquiring lead poisoning.