[at-l] The ethics of snoring......

Excellent point. Even some of the treatments of snoring bode adverse
effects and risks that a reasonable person might reject. Snoring can be
related to a variety of problems including sleep apnea, arrhythmias, sudden
death, diabetes, ADD/HD, memory disorders and other problems. I recall
stories of other hikers absolutely freaked out by a snoring companion who
had pretty obvious and severe sleep apnea. By ignoring his problem, he not
only complicated nights for his friends, but he placed his own life at
jeopardy.

If you are out on a hike of any distance, you will run into folks who have
medical conditions that will have an impact on your hike. Snoring is one of
the more common and easily managed problems, as ear plugs are very light
and easy. Someone else's fractures, malnutrition, emotional problems and
others will affect how you hike or spend a few hours. Hopefully, rudeness
won't be a major factor in how we handle such events - even if the rudeness
belongs to the person with the problem.

BTW, there is some connection of snoring with cigarette use.

OrangeBug