[at-l] Winter in Baxter Park, Maine

On 4 Mar 2002 at 20:23, Weary wrote:

> Even if you don't climb the mountain, Chimney Pond is unique. Nothing in the
> Whites compares, nor do very many places East of Yosemite. An almost sheer 2,000
> foot rock wall, faced by a mountain tarn, surrounded by lean-to shelters.

Weary knows of what he speaks.  Chimney Pond has
got to be one of the most awesome campsites in all
of New England.  Ironic that it will be missed by most
thru-hikers.  OTOH, the view from Daicey Pond camp-
site isn't too shabby, either.  My humble photos of both,
below...

<http://www.channel1.com/users/rafeb/chim_pond_sunset_reflection.html>

<http://www.channel1.com/users/rafeb/daicey_pond.html>

Beware that Baxter Park is limited-use; you probably
won't get to stay overnight in the park unless you make
reservations well in advance.  (Exceptions are made
for thru hikers on the AT, of course.)

rafe b.
aka terrapin