[at-l] Winter in Baxter Park, Maine

Please don't be discouraged by my description of Baxter Park, Maine, in winter.
Probably the most beautiful scene in the east is the great wall of Katahdin
viewed from Chimney Pond in January, February and March.

The trail in is long. But it is not terribly hard. Plan enough time to make a
stop at Roaring Brook on the way in and again on the way out, and it is really
easy. Remember my three year old climbed the steep part in July. (No, I didn't
carry him. I boosted over an occasional rock, but he walked.)

Even if you don't climb the mountain, Chimney Pond is unique. Nothing in the
Whites compares, nor do very many places East of Yosemite. An almost sheer 2,000
foot rock wall, faced by a mountain tarn, surrounded by lean-to shelters.

Most winter visitors aim for the bunkhouse, making reservations difficult. But
it really doesn't matter. In some ways the lean-tos are preferable.

Spend a few days. Even without an assault up that wall to the summit, there are
trails to explore and bushwhacks to attempt.

Weary