[at-l] Re. The ethics of snoring....

    Kahley brought up an interesting point, and the answer is no, really
loud snorers DO NOT have the right to destroy everyone else's sleep; those
who snore excessively absolutely should not stay, (or should certainly try
to avoid staying) in shelters; likewise, it's perfectly all right to wake up
people who are snoring to the point that they are disturbing other folks'
rest.  Any snorer who has a problem with this is an inconsiderate p***k.

    Everyone who has a major snoring problem knows about this, or if they
don't they sure in hell will know about it after their first night in a
shelter with other folks. Therefore, if they persist in staying in shelters,
they are simply being rude and inconsiderate to others---you don't have to
be gentle with folks like this.  Basically, the first time somone snores in
a shelter to the point that he's disturbing others, he should immediately be
made aware of this the next morning, in a non-judgmental, non-angry way.
All you need do is point out the problem and advise him to think about
tenting in the future.  The second time this happens, be a little more
forceful.  Let him KNOW that a problem exists, and that it it's becoming a
problem for others, to the point that it's affecting his popularity on the
Trail, i.e. nobody wants to be anywhere near him at night, and people are
suggesting that he's insensitive and inconsiderate.  Hopefully, this'll do
the trick.  The third time----well, you did everything you could.  It's time
to tell him in no uncertain terms that NOBODY has the right to repeatedly
disturb the sleep of others and anyone who insists on doing so is an
inconsiderate slob who obviously cares little about the folks he's elected
to spend six months with.  If THIS doesn't work, and the guy still refuses
to tent, he should be shunned as the miserable bastard he is.  Happily, most
folks like this are gone in 2 or 3 weeks.

    Having said all this, it should also be made clear that snoring in
shelters, at least a reasonable level, doesn't bother most folks.  Most
folks either sleep thru it, or use earplugs, or, in many cases, it doesn't
trouble them at all. When you elect to stay in "shared" communal space, it's
taken as a given that you're going to have to put up with the fact that
there are other people there:  Some folks might stay up a bit later than
you; some might wake up and leave earlier in the morning.  Some might get up
2 or 3 times during the night.  And yes, some might snore, in fact, if there
are more than 3 or 4 people in the shelter, it's almost a certainty that
somebody will.  But this is the sort of thing you've decided to accept by
sleeping in a communal box with other people, so what it comes down to is
this:

    *  If you know you have a snoring problem, and if others have made it
clear to you that your presence in a shelter is disturbing to them, then you
should, in nearly every opportunity, set up your tent well away from where
others are attempting to sleep.  To do otherwise is incredibly rude and
dis-respectful of your fellow hikers.

    *Likewise, if you are excessively bothered or perturbed by shelter
noise, to the point that you're more sensitive to noises generated by
sleeping in the presence of others, then you, too, would be well advised to
sleep elsewhere.  If you insist on staying in shelters, learn to accept a
reasonable ammount of sound in the nighttime.

    In my case, I've been told I snore on occasion.  Likewise, I've
discovered that I'm incredibly sensitive to the snoring of others, to the
point that even with earplugs, I can't get to sleep, or get back to sleep in
a shelter, if someone is snoring.  The solution is very simple:  In almost
every case available to me, I tent.  This spares me untold grief and at the
same time prevents my causing any problems for others.