[at-l] Re: What's in your first aid kit? WAS Honey

> I doubt you will get many fans choosing to rub
> salt into their wounds.

It doesn't sting that bad, and it's an excellent
anti-microbial.  Not for the faint of heart, I will admit...

> The idea of Super Glue for wounds is not a great
> idea. First, it is hot
> and damages tissue as it cures/seals. It is too
> water proof, and can
> enclose nasties and prevent drainage. There are
> specific cyanoacrolates
> for wound care, but the indications are fairly
> specific also.

Having used it countless times, I have never experienced any
of the problems you indicate.  Cyanoacrolates only heat
significantly if you use large amounts and/or use an
accelerator.  Any clean wound that had missed veins and
arteries shouldn't need to drain.  The cyanoacrolate
'bandage' falls off after 24-48 hours anyway.  It's perfect
for little cuts on fingers and such.  If I had a bad
laceration, I wouldn't use it, however.  I'd opt for sutures
or butterfly tape.

> If you have a laceration in the woods that needs
> a suture, get thee to
> an emergency room. If an ER is 2-3 days away, you
> leave the wound open
> and as clean as possible. Folks have been doing
> this forever, until the
> advent of surgical procedures beyond the few
> skills barbers could
> accomplish.

Once a wound is open for 24 hours, it's too late to suture.

The key to any wound care is to clean it, stop the bleeding,
and keep it clean.  So long as your guts aren't hanging out,
you'll probably do just fine.  Always have a nasty cut
checked at the next town, especially if it's red, sore, or
puffy.

Shane