Re[2]: [at-l] backpacking spices during thru-hike?

"...Anyone have a system for taking a light weight spice kit on a long hike?
asks Amy.

McCormick, the spice maker, sells most of the common spices in small plastic,
screw top bottles. Spice and container together weigh just under an ounce.

I find hot pepper flakes most important, but I also carry the containers with
basil, thyme, curry powder, chili powder etc.

Every supermarket sells them, I believe. I save the empties and keep refilling
them from home dried stuff and from larger and less expensive containers. A few
months ago I restocked at a store that features outdated stuff. The spices
seemed okay and the price was right, 2 for $1.

The empty containers are probably worth more than that. I never tried it, but
keeping favorite spices in a bounce box would allow refilling the containers as
you progress on the trail.

Weary