[at-l] Taking your dog with you?

Some vets and humane societies do microchipping clinics where it runs around
ten bucks to get this wierd thing implanted in your dog.  I've been thinking
about it for a while but haven't had my dogs microchipped yet.  It sort of
freaks me out for no real rational reason.  Mostly because I don't think I'd
want to be microchipped.  It's completely silly though and I'll probably get
over it and get the dogs microchipped before my thru-hike in 2003.  One
thing to realize is that not everyone has the scanner thing to read the
chips.  Research labs are legally required to scan dogs before doing
research on them.  And many humane societies and vets and animal shelters
have the capability to read the chips.  But it's not something to be relied
on.  Always be sure that your dog has visible id on a collar or tag.  That's
where anyone who finds a wandering dog will look first.  The micro-chip,
like tattoos are a back-up method to ensure that your fuzzy friend doesn't
come to a bad end.  But the first defense is always to train your dog well
and keep it leashed anyway.

Alexis