[at-l] pittsburgh 02/26/02 300pm

pittsburgh 02/26/02 300pm

i'm in for the night at sam moore shelter.  really disappointed myself today (hey, i'll get over it).  from my first step, i just didn't have it.  i wanted to just suck it up and get through these puds, but the first ascent killed me, and it was really insignificant.  got nearly two miles into the hike, at spout run (a creek), and sat down huffing and puffing, feeling somewhat defeated, then . . . it started to rain<g>...

rain requires decisions.  i decided to pitch my tent and wait it out.  i relaxed in the tent listening to the patter of the raindrops on the silnylon tarp, and caught a nap...

i almost decided to stay there for the night, but after some arguing (with myself), i tore down camp, packed up, and headed out . . . straight up a hill<g>...

so, i'm happy to be here at sam moore shelter - i hiked three miles on the AT, which is better than no miles on the AT<g>...

my pack had weighed too much during my first six days of this hike into harpers ferry.  i made some changes while there, and left harpers with a 'happy' weight.  but, these have been balmy days, and i'm carrying, not wearing, most of my cold weather clothing - and, i just added some food weight from my drop at bears den - so my pack weight has again gone over to the dark side<g>...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.