[at-l] More On Mowatt

On 26 Feb 2002 at 18:41, Bryan Kramer wrote:

> Try this: from salon
>
> "In Farley Mowat's case, though, it's hard to argue that the problem was
> only Canada's national brand of small-town envy. The scandal began with
> the May 1996 issue of Saturday Night, one of Canada's most prominent
> national magazines. .... Sure enough, John Goddard's heavily researched
> story, "A Real Whopper," made devastating accusations about Mowat's
> first three nonfiction books: "People of the Deer," "The Desperate
> People" and "Never Cry Wolf."

<snip>

You've cited folks who dislike Mowatt and doubt his
veracity.  But you haven't exactly cited any specific
factual errors.

I can surmise, however, that those with a conservative
or anti-environmental agenda would be delighted to
find fault with Mowatt's writings.  Recall that Mowatt (a
Canadian) was banned from promoting his work in the
USA during the Reagan years, under the McCarran-
Walter Act -- a McCarthy-era "anti-terrorist" ruling
which was repealed in 1990.

rafe b.