[at-l] hiking sticks: another difference

> Your GRASP the staff with your hand, but you REST your hand on the pole
> strap.  Then you LIFT the staff, but you SWING the pole.  This has been
> described in books and by people to me several times and is supposed to
> result in much less fatigue.

This is because they are using a 'staff' that they think would make Moses
proud.  A wooden staff shouldn't be a log that you drag around - it should
be an aid to walking.

> Any real life experience from anyone who has used BOTH and found
> a percieved
> difference in fatigue?  I don't mean you tried one or the other out for a
> brief walk, but someone who really used both for a reasonable period.

I haven't actually used a pair of Leki's for any great length of time.
Using the 'white cane' poles or using wooden staffs, when each is done
correctly are very similar.  The wrist straps do help, but they can be
easily added to a wooden staff.  In the end, it's probably a matter of
perception and asthetics.  Either kind used incorrectly is going to hinder,
rather than assist, walking.

On snow, I prefer a simple pair of ski poles - which can be cheaply had on
e-bay.

Shane