Re[2]: [at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

"Clifford R. Haynes" <chaynes@megalink.net>
>Actually the arguments brought forward against the Zip stove are really,
>better arguments that there should be no shelters on the AT because the
>concentration of people causes too much impact to a location.

Cliff -
I started advocating taking out the shelters about 10 years ago.  There are
people who think they're necessary - but they're wrong.  The PCT and CDT
have very few shelters - and are better trails for it.  If the shelter
system were to be eliminated - or at least drastically reduced, the "too
many people on the Trail" problem would resolve itself to a large degree.

>If one were to assume that there are too many people on the trail, than it
>would only be logical to assume that folks really concerned with preserving
>the trail would not spend time on the trail, because there presence is
>putting excessive pressure on the trail environment.

Thank you.  Ginny and I rarely hike on the AT anymore - 10 years ago we
started hiking other trails, in large part to reduce impact on the AT - and
in part because there's so much more world out there to discover beyond the
white blazes.  The term "loving it to death" applies to those who hike
exclusively on the AT.

Walk softly,
Jim