Re[4]: [at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

"... If the shelter system were to be eliminated - or at least drastically
reduced, the "too  many people on the Trail" problem would resolve itself to a
large degree," says Jim.

 Some argue that shelters concentrate use and thus prevent trail sprawl. There's
 merit to that contention, I guess. But I tend to agree with Jim -- as I do
 about most things.

 Since no one can rely on space in a shelter any more, and thus everyone should
 carry there own shelter, the original reason for building shelters no longer
 applies.

 I'm not sure I'm in favor of tearing them down just yet -- especially the three
 Maine has built in the past three or four years. Shelter builders are
 volunteers and I like to encourage volunteerism. I just wish they would do more
 useful things. I strongly advocate against building any more shelters.

 I do think it mandatory that we continue to build privies at popular campsites
 -- with or without shelters.

 I can't justify them either logically or environmentally but I do like the idea
of simple "picnic" style things that provide a place to cook and eat out of the
rain and snow. May be I'm just getting soft.

Weary