Re[2]: [at-l] wood stoves

Bleached paper if burned produces small amount of dioxin. News print, which most
use in starting fires, usually has undergone minimal bleaching and is a less
likely source of major dioxin pollution.

 Since trail camping spots rarely have newspapers lying around, I suspect it is
 not a major problem. My favorite starter is scraps of birch bark from downed
 trees and limbs.

 At home, I use newspapers to start fires. In fact for chilly mornings and
 evenings spring, summer and fall, my only fuel tends to be old newspapers. I
 figure they are the cheapest BTUs around -- i.e. free.

 If I don't burn them, most end up in waste to energy incinerators, that burn
 them anyway.

 Weary