[at-l] Scanning Question

Okay, experiment complete.

I used Paint Shop Pro Version 6 to do a batch conversion of 12 photo images
and 12 "created" images, all of which were originally stores as JPEGs into
both GIF and PNG formats. The input file sizes varied form about 30 KB up to
500 KB.

The results:

In EVERY case the GIF file was LESS than half the size of the PNG file.
Sometimes significantly less than half. The conversion to PNG took almost
three times as long as the conversion to GIF.

Okay, so that was just one companies' algorithm. So I tried Microsoft
Picture It! The ratio is now four to one! (Remind me NEVER to use picture it
for PNG format.)

So then I tried Microsoft's Image Composer, the ratio is still four to one,
but the GIF is MUCH smaller than either of the other programs. Hmmmm...

Like I said, you can forget using PNG, at least I won't.

Lee I Joe