[at-l] The Government and The Environment - TOTALLY OFF

Ah, the myths that endure.  The permanent nature and stability of Government
jobs and programs is a beauty.

In my 31 years of public service, I was RIFed (for non-feds, "put out of
work") and part-time furloughed (for non-feds, "had my biweekly work
schedule reduced by 8-16 hours w/ an 10-20% cut in pay") a number of times.
Three of the programs, offices, etc in which I worked were closed.

What you say about folk working "hard at protecting, and expanding whatever
program, or agency they are in charge of, whether or not that program..."
may be true of the folk "in charge" at, or near, the top.

But don't kid yourself, down in the trenches, were the work gets done,
many-many government workers (Fed, State, & Local) dedication, devotion,
hard work and sincerity, and knowledge.

Even Ed Abbey had good things to say about the rank-in-file while ripping
programs apart -- see Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness.

Chainsaw