[at-l] Appalachian Trail Land Trust

"...And who shall own and manage this land?" asks Shane.

   Whatever works best. Maine has a land acquisition fund, that prefers the
   title rest with state agencies, but which also requires private matching
   funds.

   The federal government has a variety of funds that provide for state
   ownership of either the full title or easements restricting development --
   which also require state and sometimes private matching money.

   My preference tends to be ownership by the land trust, but I've been involved
enough in these issues to know that that will not always happen and perhaps will
never happen.

   I sense that Maine and another state who's name I've forgotten (PA perhaps?)
   may be a pilot program that it is hoped will spread to all the states thorugh
   which the Appalachian Trail passes.

   Under the current thinking the ATC would be a resource for Appalachian Trail
   land trusts in each state, rather than attempting to create a land trust for
   the entire trail.

   I think this plan is better than one unified land trust for the entire trail
   for the reason Shane cites. We all tend to donate most to things in our own
   areas.

   But Maine has a special problem in that we have a small population (1.2
   million,) and a relatively poor population. We also have about a seventh of
   the total trail mileage. Finally, the trail in Maine passes through no
   national forests or parks. It is mostly protected by a narrow corridor
   purchased by the National Park Service over the past 15 years or so.

   I also donate to feed hungry children. But I try to keep my charities in some
   perspective. Hunger has always been part of this world. It seems likely to
   continue to be a problem for the forseeable future. Other than helping a
   neighbor, hunger is a problem I can neither eliminate nor significantly help
   solve.

    Maine, however, faces a unique, probably one time opportunity, to protect a
    trail some of us think contributes a great deal to the quality of life of
    millions of people. Yes. The lives of those who may never dream of walking
    the AT are brightened by the knowledge that trail exists, that even in the
    crowded east a 2,160 mile long bit of wildness is available to chellenge
    them or their children, grandchildren and future generations forever.

    We all have an opportunity to be miniature Myron Averys -- people with the
    ability to do something that will remain and provide pleasure for centuries
    after we are gone. The land is available. The owners want to sell. All we
    need is a relative handful of trail lovers to rise to the challenge.

    Once the developers arrive and the condos are built, the trail will forever
    remain a narrow corridor, crushed by nearby civilization.

    Weary