[at-l] Noble, GA

A trail related Eric Rudolph story - kinda.  But first some background:
In April of '98 after putting daughter "Mitch" on the trail at Springer - we
drove up the forest road and hiked in with her- we then drove back down to
AFSP.  We stopped at the office and asked if we could get a photocopy of the
register page where "Mitch" had signed in, thought it would be a nice surprise
for her,  and would be a great first page for a trail photo album/scrapbook.
The ranger on duty was agreeable, she made the copy and we were on our way.
That register page is now the first page of her first Thru album. There are
many.
Fast forward to April '99 and there we were again putting our youngest
daughter "Smiles" on the trail, this time at the base of the approach trail.
Mitch was also along to accompany her sister for her first month or so of
hiking the trail.  Funny how that happens.
The mood in the office was very different however.  There was a woman at the
counter where the register was usually placed and she had a steely scowl on
her face as she guarded the register.  She would pass the register to hikers
to sign-in and then retrieve it quickly and not let anyone page thru the
recent entries.  I asked to have a page photocopied and was told that wouldn't
be possible.  I explained that we had done this the previous year and told her
why we wanted it, but was denied again.
Being the persistent bastard that I can be, I asked if there was someone that
she reported to and if I could please speak with him/her.  She said yes and
took the register with her as she went to a back office to get the appropriate
person -  head ranger I guess.   He came out, I explained what I wanted and
why, and he also denied the request.  I asked for an explanation and he said
".. what with Eric Rudolf  "out there" and all,  we are not letting anyone
have access to the register except to sign-in.
At this point I realized that he wasn't going to change his position so in
frustration I said   "So, you think Eric Rudolf is going to walk into the
office, sign the register with his real name and add something like "nothbound
to my hideout"?????
He smiled wryly and did not answer and we left without the a copy of the
register page.

Steve