[at-l] Re: LNT, was women's issues

> Nothing should be left within a half mile of a shelter or campsite, in .my
>  opinion.

Okay. Agreed.

Beyond that distance food wastes and other biodegradable matter
> can
>  be properly buried or even better disposed of under a large rock or extra
> big
>  and not easily moved log, a hundred feet or so off the trails.

What? Is it such a good idea for wildlife to be feeding on food scraps? They
will dig this up. The issue is larger than keeping animals from exploring
shelters which, I agree, is desirable.

Aside from the questionable nature of some of the food we eat (marshmallows,
for example, or white bread - banned at most zoos because the animals
sicken), is it a good idea to have "caches" of uneaten food around for
animals to find and dig up? Jane Goodall screwed up some monkey migration
patterns by feeding wild animals. Our diet is not their diet.
Why not just pack it out or else complete immolation if a campfire is going?
(I said "complete").