[at-l] Re: women's issues

I know of no other unprovoked attacks on females by bears on the AT that
didn't involve fried chicken or something food oriented. Not that they don't
perhaps exist, but that they are so rare as to fly below the radar for this
Trail buff.

> growing up in KY and absolutley forbidden to enter
> > horse paddocks or barns at this time was just wandering.

Um, I think this was an old southern gentleman thing. I know no basis in
fact for this.
When I went to the very traditional and storied Claiborne Farms in the 1980s
to "meet" the fabulous Secretariat, women were still not allowed in the
breeding sheds.
But just down the road, new-money Gainesway Farms set up a bleachers for the
adoring public. It was a business, and Claiborne was a dying way of life. At
Gainesway, I  watched Cannonade (remember him? Derby winner? Crooked leg and
all?) conceive the next generation.

I own a stallion, or rather he owns me, and while I am habitually cautious
and alert around him, there is no behavioral correlation to monthly cycles
that i can detect.

That said, on the Trail, the basic advice holds - pack it in, pack it out.
And until you pack it out, bear bag it.

Jan